Capacity Planning Tool updates 40th Edition
This site contains the latest updates of the Capacity Planning Tool and summary of vendor published SPEC hardware platform benchmarks. You need Microsoft® Office® 2010 or higher to use the Capacity Planning Tool (Excel® 2016 is the current CPT development platform). QuickTime® media player is needed to view the videos.
It is recommended that users complete the System Architecture Design Strategies training before using the Capacity Planning tool.
- 1 July 2017 Capacity Planning Tool Release
- 2 February 2017 Capacity Planning Tool Release
- 3 July 2016 Capacity Planning Tool Release
- 4 Capacity Planning Tool instructional videos
- 5 Legacy capacity planning tools
- 6 Spring 2016 Capacity Planning Tool Release documents
- 7 July 2015 Capacity Planning Tool Release
July 2017 Capacity Planning Tool Release
Arc17CapacityPlanning0701 ERROR identified in downloads between 8-17 August 2017
- Impacted network transport time and latency calculations on Design tabs.
- CPT correction was posted on 17 August 2017.
- Over 50 CPT downloads identified during this period.
- Current Arc17CapacityPlanning0701 downloads have been repaired.
July 2017 Capacity Planning Tool file download
The current System Architecture Design Strategies training class exercises will use the Arc17CapacityPlanning0701 CPT release.
The Arc17CapacityPlanning0701 release includes the following updates.
- Update 2017 hardware pricing analysis.
- Include GPU hardware and licensing pricing analysis.
- Include WAN and Internet network bandwidth service pricing analysis.
- Include hardware, GPU, and Network pricing analysis on CPT Calculator tab.
- Increase GIS Server RAM recommendations to 4 GB per core.
The current System Architecture Design Strategies training class Instructor demos will introduce the Arc17CapacityPlanning0701 release. The System Design Strategies Capacity Planning Tool appendix and the Capacity Planning Tool (CPT) instructional videos show similar demos using the Arc16CapacityPlanning0701 release.
Arc17CapacityPlanning0701 was development using Microsoft® Excel® 2016 platform, maintaining functional capability with Office 2010 and 2013.
Hardware SPEC platform performance file download
Hardware vendor platform performance updates are published on SPEC. The HardwareSPEC workbook includes a download of published SPEC vendor benchmarks and Amazon EC2 virtual machines (AMI) for your use in capacity planning. Performance benchmark download date is identified on the workbook tab.
February 2017 Capacity Planning Tool Release
February 2017 Capacity Planning Tool file download
The Arc16CapacityPlannning0201 release includes the following updates.
- Include additional 5 platform tier – 15 total on Design tab.
- Include additional 2 host platform tier – 5 total on Design tab.
- Add capability to register workflow services with Portal on Design tab (Design tab column W).
- Include Workflow Performance Summary graphic colors for associated Design platform tier.
- Allow flexible NIC bandwidth selections on Design platform tier.
- Resolve Calculator and Design consistency error for Pro multi-thread response time.
- MDS host assignment (Calculator cell A11) yellow when selecting and Imagery workflow.
- Design tab Software configuration MDS cell "blue" for Imagery workflow.
- Include ArcGIS Pro VDI host platform fixed node calculations on Calculator and Design tabs.
- Identifies ArcGIS Pro VDI host platform peak geoprocessing jobs on Calculator and Design tabs.
Arc16CapacityPlanning0201 was development using Microsoft® Excel® 2016 platform, maintaining functional capability with Office 2010 and 2013.
July 2016 Capacity Planning Tool Release
July 2016 Capacity Planning Tool file download
The Arc16CapacityPlannning0701 release includes the following updates.
- Update baseline workflow service times to Arc16 baseline.
- Update CPT models to support Arc16 baseline.
- Remove release specific baseline workflows (retained as legacy workflows in Workflow tab).
- CPT Standard Workflow candidates are updated to support selection of Medium and Heavy complexity workflows.
Arc16CapacityPlanning0701 was development using Microsoft® Excel® 2016 platform, maintaining functional capability with Office 2010 and 2013.
Capacity Planning Tool instructional videos
Several CPT Demos provided during the System Architecture Design Strategies training class are shared below. These videos demonstrate performance and scalability best practices shared throughout the System Design Strategies wiki chapters. The demos also share how to use the CPT for completing your system architecture design analysis.
July 2017 Arc17CapacityPlanning0701 demos
- Chapter 1 System Design Process demo
- Chapter 2 GIS Software Technology demo
- Chapter 3 Software Performance demo
- Chapter 4 Server Software Performance demo
- Chapter 5: GIS Data Administration demo
- Chapter 6: Network Communications demo
- Chapter 7: Platform Performance demo
- Chapter 9: GIS Product Architecture
- Chapter 10: Performance Management demos (Arc16CapacityPlanning0201 demos)
- Chapter 11 City of Rome case study (Planning and Managing a GIS Arc17CapacityPlanning0701 demos)
- 11.1 City of Rome Executive Summary demo
- 11.2 Phase 1: City of Rome existing operations demo
- 11.3 Phase 1: ArcGIS Enterprise IOC demo
- 11.4 Phase 1 Vector tile basemap deployment demo
- 11.5 Phase 1: Upgrade WTS host platform tier to support remote ArcGIS Pro clients demo
- 11.6 Phase 2: Water Utility Solution demo
- 11.1 City of Rome Executive Summary demo
July 2016 Arc16CapacityPlanning0701 demos
- Chapter 1: System design process
- Chapter 2: Software technology selection
- Chapter 3: Software performance
- Chapter 4: Server instance configurations
- Chapter 5: GIS data source
- Chapter 6: Network suitability analysis
- Chapter 7: Platform performance/selection
- Chapter 9: Product architecture selection
- Chapter 10: Performance management
- Chapter 11: City of Rome use case.
- CPT Demo: City of Portland use case
The Planning for Building a GIS video series shares a methodology for completing your business (user needs) requirements analysis in preparation for an effective System Architecture Design.
Legacy capacity planning tools
Legacy capacity planning tools are available for reference purposes. The latest capacity planning tool release includes the most current workflows and functionality.
Spring 2016 Capacity Planning Tool Release documents
March 2016 Capacity Planning Tool file download
The Arc15CapacityPlannning0301 release includes two new capabilities for including batch geoprocessing loads within the design analysis.
- CPT Calculator includes a new concurrent geoprocessing instances entry (T3) which includes background processing loads with the application tier sizing analysis.
- CPT Workflow tab includes three new Standard Workflows for batch Geoprocessing Services for use in the CPT design analysis.
Jan 2016 Capacity Planning Tool file download
The Arc15CapacityPlannning0103 release includes two new capabilities that simplify and stabilize the CPT Design analysis.
- CPT Design RESET capability is included at the top of the selection list in cell T2. The RESET selection recovers the CPT Design to a stable calculation state in the event of an unstable design solution.
- An optional CPT Design AutoBatch capability is included at the top of the selection list in cell D1. Batch process productivity (column E) is automatically adjusted for all batch workflows (min think time = 0) when AutoBatch is selected.
Note: AutoBatch capability must be reset to Live when using the CPT Design RESET to recover from an unstable analysis condition.
The January 2016 Arc15CapacityPlanning0101 release is designed to simplify and expand CPT capacity planning capabilities, including a variety of design changes to improve virtual server capacity planning, incorporate ArcGIS for Server Site internal communication loads and siloed GIS Server configurations, along with more accurate allocation of hypervisor loads on the host platform. CPT Design upgrades also include a new batch process capacity planning capability for the CPT Calculator, along with several upgrades to simplify CPT configurations (simplified software technology selection, simplified default resolution, CPT Calculator automatic productivity adjustments, and simplified %DataCache and network bandwidth entries). A generic workflow baseline software technology pattern was introduced for general analysis along with a filtering capability to access multiple categories of software technology selection sets for expanded analysis.
Arc15CapacityPlanning0101 was development using Microsoft® Excel® Office 2013 platform, maintaining functional capability with Office 2007, 2010 and 2013.
July 2015 Capacity Planning Tool Release
July 2015 Capacity Planning Tool file download
The Arc15CapacityPlanning0715 update includes several design alternations to incorporate ArcGIS 10.3 technology including ArcGIS for Desktop 2D and 3D workflows (ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro), combined ArcGIS for Desktop feature service workflows incorporating Portal and ArcGIS for Server Data Store and registered Web map services architecture patterns, ArcGIS Pro multi-threading display performance and automated hardware pricing (based on user defined HWPricing lookup table). The CPT user workflow recipe was modified to accommodate the new architecture patterns.
Arc15CapacityPlanning0715 was development using Microsoft® Excel® 2013 platform, maintaining functional capability with Office 2007, 2010 and 2013.
Specific license terms for this content
System Design Strategies 26th edition - An Esri ® Technical Reference Document • 2009 (final PDF release)