Emergency Management Information System
Emergency Management Information System (EMIS) is a computer database for disaster response that provides graphical, real-time information to responders.
EMIS and emergencies
Four phases of an emergency are preparedness, risk mitigation, response, and recovery. An EMIS helps emergency managers or any emergency stakeholder (such as affected civilians, police, firefighters, nongovernment organizations) more quickly and easily perform their required activities in any phase of an emergency.
EMIS for preparedness
- Resource management.
- Preparation of contingency plans for different types emergencies.
- Creating checklists that can be easily reached by any related emergency management stakeholder.
EMIS for risk mitigation
- Determine possible risk areas and risk types. Often supported by a geographical information system (GIS).
EMIS for response
- Executing and tracking the contingency plan.
EMIS for recovery
- Cost calculation of the emergency.
- Reports (supported by tables and graphs).
An EMIS interacts with many other early alert systems and communicates with many legacy systems.
EMIS Provider Implementations
- Mil-EMIS — commercial COTS EMIS implementation from MilSOFT ICT.
- EmerGeo Solutions Inc — EmerGeo Solutions provides fully integrated situation awareness technology, training and services to help government and industry manage risk in emergency management, environment, health and safety, and security.
- Black Coral Inc — a leading edge product company developing geospatial collaboration capabilities that enable better outcomes for personnel and tactical teams operating in emergency response and military environments.
- Disaster Management Solutions provides information technology solutions for Fire Departments, EMS Agencies, Hospitals, Public Health Departments, and other disaster and emergency preparedness entities
- SunPlus Data Group — SunPlus' ePOD Manager solution manages the operations of Receipt, Storage and Staging (RSS) sites and Points of Dispense (PODs), ensuring timely delivery and efficient management of SNS assets by providing the required logistics, distribution, and inventory management capabilities needed in emergencies
- "What is an Emergency Management Information System (EMIS)?". Archived from the original on 2007-03-25. http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:xTUbVWelENQJ:www.giswebsite.com/lkc/refs/er/tsld001.htm+Emergency+Management+Information+System&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us&client=firefox-a. Retrieved 2007-04-26.