|Headquarters||North Greenbush, New York, USA|
|Key people||Mike Hickey, President|
Geographic Information Systems
|Revenue||▲$165.5 million USD (2005)|
|Employees||900  (2005)|
- MapInfo is also the common name of the company's main product.
MapInfo was founded in 1986 by Laszlo Bardos, Andrew Dressel, John Haller, Mike Marvin, and Sean O’Sullivan. The company originated as a Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) incubator project. The original name was Navigational Technologies Incorporated (NTI), and the first intended product was for in-car navigation.
MapInfo appeared at number 23 in Inc. Magazine's Inc. 500 in 1992.
MapInfo held an initial public offering (IPO) in 1994.
On March 15, 2007 Pitney Bowes entered into a merger agreement to acquire MapInfo Corporation for approximately $408 million in cash. Following the acquisition, MapInfo has changed its name to Pitney Bowes MapInfo Corporation.
As of January 28, 2009, MapInfo and Group 1 Software are operating as one division called Pitney Bowes Business Insight.
MapInfo developed the first desktop GIS in 1986. Originally, the intention was to create an easy-to-use software package that did not require exceedingly large amounts of computing power.
MapInfo provided the first tools to Microsoft that allowed them to include mapping functionality in their products, specifically the mapping add-on branded as Microsoft Map for Microsoft Excel as part of MS Office 95. The add-on was subsequently included in Microsoft Office 97, and Microsoft Office 2000. This provided the inspiration for the Microsoft MapPoint program, which became a separate product from Microsoft, and since that Microsoft Map was dropped.
MapInfo collaborated with Oracle Corporation to develop the original spatial cartridge for the Oracle 8i database.
- 2007: Encom Technology, a supplier of specialist software, data and services to the global mineral exploration and petroleum industries.
- 2007: Graphical Data Capture, a developer of applications and offerer of consulting services primarily to local and regional UK govt authorities, in addition to utilities, financial services and insurance cos.
- 2005: MarkeTech Systems, Inc., a Raleigh, North Carolina-based provider of software, data and services for use by retail banks to enhance branch network sales and profitability.
- 2004: Southbank Systems, a supplier of Asset Management systems and services to local government, civil engineering companies and utilities, primarily within the UK but also within New Zealand, Australia and the Asia pacific markets
- 2003: Thompson Associates, one of the top providers of retail site selection consulting.
- 2000: Compusearch Inc., the leading provider of micro-marketing segmentation and market analysis solutions in Canada.
Current products and services
MapInfo provides location intelligence solutions through combining software, data (both spatial and non spatial) and consultancy with project management, systems design and development, training and support. MapInfo produces a wide range of software including Spatial Cartridges for databases (SpatialWare), Routing (Routing J Server), Geocoding (MapMarker), Site Analysis (AnySite), Risk Analysis, Market Analysis, demographic analysis (TargetPro), and the Envinsa web services suite along with the more traditional Geographic Information System (GIS) software. MapInfo's GIS software products include the desktop GIS software, MapInfo Professional, MapXtreme 2005 and MapXtreme Java for web-based and desktop client mapping, as well as developer tools such as MapBasic. The latest version of MapInfo Professional is v9.5, which was released in July 2008 and now comes as standard in SCP Software Copy Protection.
MapInfo provides the Confirm Asset Management product globally to address full life cycle Asset Management software and services to the public and civil engineering sectors. MapInfo provides specific Training, Consulting, Project Management services for this area.
|This article appears to contain a large number of buzzwords. Please help rewrite this article to make it more concrete and meaningful.|
MapInfo' services offering has recently been organised to provide a cross product location intelligent and business solutions team of top-level experienced and cross skilled Solutions Architects to provide its current and future customers with business solutions advice ranging across all its products from J2EE, .NET tailoring, Spatial and predictive analytics product and advice and asset management expertise.
- MapInfo Company Profile
- "Rensselaer Alumni Magazine". 2004. http://www.rpi.edu/dept/metasite/news/magazine/fall2004/feature2-pg2.html. Retrieved 2007-03-15.
- "Rensselaer Entrepreneurship". 2004. http://www.eship.rpi.edu/incubator.htm. Retrieved 2007-03-15.
- "GIS Development". 2002. http://www.gisdevelopment.net/interview/previous/ev040.htm. Retrieved 2007-03-15.
- "Inc. 500". 2006. http://www.inc.com/app/inc500/searchResults.jsp?schCompany=MapInfo&schState=&schYear=1992. Retrieved 2006-12-24.
- "Greylock Partners Portfolio Software". 2006. http://www.greylock.com/portfolio/portfolio.cfm?cat=Software. Retrieved 2006-12-24.
- "IT News.com.au". http://www.itnews.com.au/newsstory.aspx?CIaNID=47777&src=site-marq. Retrieved 2007-03-15.
- "Pitney Bowes Completes Acquisition of MapInfo, press release". http://news.pb.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=4150. Retrieved 2007-04-24.
- "Pitney Bowes Acquires Encom, press release". http://web2.encom.com.au/pdfs/EncomAcquisition.pdf. Retrieved 2007-12-20.
- "The Business Review: Pitney Bowes MapInfo gets new name". http://www.bizjournals.com/albany/stories/2009/01/26/daily35.html. Retrieved 2009-01-28.
- "The Business Review, Pitney Bowes Mapinfo acquires Australian co.". http://www.bizjournals.com/albany/stories/2007/12/17/daily5.html?ana=from_rss. Retrieved 2008-02-08.
- "Reuters, MapInfo acquires Graphical Data Capture". http://www.reuters.com/article/inPlayBriefing/idUSIN20070220160021MAPS20070220. Retrieved 2008-02-08.
- "bnet, MapInfo Acquires MarkeTech Systems, Inc.; Acquisition Augments MapInfo's Position in the Financial Services Vertical Market". http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_2005_June_2/ai_n13792440. Retrieved 2008-02-08.
- "Directions Magazine, MapInfo Acquires Thompson Associates, By Joe Francica". http://www.directionsmag.com/article.php?article_id=288&trv=1. Retrieved 2008-02-08.
- "The Free Library, MapInfo Acquires Canada's Leading Source for Integrated Micro-Marketing Data and Analysis.". http://www.thefreelibrary.com/MapInfo+Acquires+Canada's+Leading+Source+for+Integrated...-a067703200. Retrieved 2008-02-08.
- MapInfo Corporation website
- Pitney Bowes MapInfo France website
- Pitney Bowes Group 1 Software website Now also a part of Pitney Bowes Software along with Pitney Bowes MapInfo
- MapInfo Chinese Users Group
- MapInfo product reviews - Geoworld (August 2005)
- MapInfo-L Users Community Site
- New Zealand MapInfo User Group
- Seattle MapInfo User Group