Capacity Planning Tool updates 39th Edition
This site contains the latest updates of the Capacity Planning Tool and summary of vendor published SPEC hardware platform benchmarks. You need Microsoft® Excel® 2010 or higher to use the Capacity Planning Tool (Excel® 2016 is the current CPT development platform. QuickTime® media player is needed to view the videos.
It is recommended that users complete the System Architecture Design Strategies training before using the Capacity Planning tool.
- 1 July 2016 Capacity Planning Tool Release
- 2 Capacity Planning Tool (CPT) instructional videos
- 3 Legacy capacity planning tools
- 4 Spring 2016 Capacity Planning Tool Release documents
- 5 July 2015 Capacity Planning Tool Release
July 2016 Capacity Planning Tool Release
July 2016 Capacity Planning Tool file download
The current System Architecture Design Strategies training class exercises use the Arc16CapacityPlanning0701 CPT release.
The Arc16CapacityPlannning0701 release includes the following updates.
- Update baseline workflow service times to Arc16 baseline.
- Update CPT models to support Arc16 baseline.
- Remove release specific baseline workflows (retained as legacy workflows in Workflow tab).
- CPT Standard Workflow candidates are updated to support selection of Medium and Heavy complexity workflows.
Arc16CapacityPlanning0701 was development using Microsoft® Excel® 2016 platform, maintaining functional capability with Office 2007, 2010 and 2013.
Hardware SPEC platform performance file download
Hardware vendor platform performance updates are published on SPEC. The HardwareSPEC workbook includes a download of published SPEC vendor benchmarks and Amazon EC2 virtual machines (AMI) for your use in capacity planning. Performance benchmark download date is identified on the workbook tab.
Capacity Planning Tool (CPT) instructional videos
It is recommended that users review associated chapters in the System Design Strategies wiki site before watching the Capacity Planning Tool videos. These eleven videos demonstrate how to use the CPT to evaluate content discussed in chapters that impact system performance and scalability. A full functionality review of the current CPT release is provided in the SDSwiki Capacity Planning Tool appendix.
- July 2016 Arc16CapacityPlanning0701 demos.
Chapter 1: System design process
Chapter 2: Software technology selection
Chapter 3: Software performance
Chapter 4: Server instance configurations
Chapter 5: GIS data source
Chapter 6: Network suitability analysis
Chapter 7: Product architecture selection
Chapter 8: Platform performance/selection
Chapter 10: Performance management
Chapter 11: City of Rome use case.
The Planning for Building a GIS video series shares a methodology for completing your business (user needs) requirements analysis in preparation for an effective System Architecture Design.
Legacy capacity planning tools
Legacy capacity planning tools are available for reference purposes. The latest capacity planning tool release includes the most current workflows and functionality.
Spring 2016 Capacity Planning Tool Release documents
March 2016 Capacity Planning Tool file download
The Arc15CapacityPlannning0301 release includes two new capabilities for including batch geoprocessing loads within the design analysis.
- CPT Calculator includes a new concurrent geoprocessing instances entry (T3) which includes background processing loads with the application tier sizing analysis.
- CPT Workflow tab includes three new Standard Workflows for batch Geoprocessing Services for use in the CPT design analysis.
Jan 2016 Capacity Planning Tool file download
The Arc15CapacityPlannning0103 release includes two new capabilities that simplify and stabilize the CPT Design analysis.
- CPT Design RESET capability is included at the top of the selection list in cell T2. The RESET selection recovers the CPT Design to a stable calculation state in the event of an unstable design solution.
- An optional CPT Design AutoBatch capability is included at the top of the selection list in cell D1. Batch process productivity (column E) is automatically adjusted for all batch workflows (min think time = 0) when AutoBatch is selected.
Note: AutoBatch capability must be reset to Live when using the CPT Design RESET to recover from an unstable analysis condition.
The January 2016 Arc15CapacityPlanning0101 release is designed to simplify and expand CPT capacity planning capabilities, including a variety of design changes to improve virtual server capacity planning, incorporate ArcGIS for Server Site internal communication loads and siloed GIS Server configurations, along with more accurate allocation of hypervisor loads on the host platform. CPT Design upgrades also include a new batch process capacity planning capability for the CPT Calculator, along with several upgrades to simplify CPT configurations (simplified software technology selection, simplified default resolution, CPT Calculator automatic productivity adjustments, and simplified %DataCache and network bandwidth entries). A generic workflow baseline software technology pattern was introduced for general analysis along with a filtering capability to access multiple categories of software technology selection sets for expanded analysis.
Arc15CapacityPlanning0101 was development using Microsoft® Excel® Office 2013 platform, maintaining functional capability with Office 2007, 2010 and 2013.
July 2015 Capacity Planning Tool Release
July 2015 Capacity Planning Tool file download
The Arc15CapacityPlanning0715 update includes several design alternations to incorporate ArcGIS 10.3 technology including ArcGIS for Desktop 2D and 3D workflows (ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro), combined ArcGIS for Desktop feature service workflows incorporating Portal and ArcGIS for Server Data Store and registered Web map services architecture patterns, ArcGIS Pro multi-threading display performance and automated hardware pricing (based on user defined HWPricing lookup table). The CPT user workflow recipe was modified to accommodate the new architecture patterns.
Arc15CapacityPlanning0715 was development using Microsoft® Excel® 2013 platform, maintaining functional capability with Office 2007, 2010 and 2013.